Square Enix has dropped a bombshell of an announcement, and via a tweet of all avenues to boot. A new entry in the Voice of Cards series, titled Voice of Cards: The Forsaken Maiden, was announced to arrive at PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, and PC via Steam on February 17, 2022. According to the announcement tweet, this new entry can be enjoyed by those who have not played the previous entry and those who are already fans.
Additionally, just like the first game, this sequel is being helmed by Yoko Taro, Yosuke Saito, Keiichi Okabe, and Kimihiko Fujisaka.
This game takes place across several islands that maidens have protected for generations. The protagonist roams the seas with Laty, a girl who failed to become a maiden. However, they, of course, end up facing some sort of disastrous conflict, leading to players having to “circumvent fate” itself. There is a familiar face in the revealed cast of characters, making me wonder about this title’s connective tissue to the initial entry. This is a Yoko Taro endeavor, so there’s bound to be a slew of connections.
Regardless, we’re pretty excited to play this game, especially with it arriving so soon. Perhaps Voice of Cards will become an anthology type of series, with new entries dropping a few times a year? Judging by the first game’s moderate length, it’s certainly possible. Still, we’ll simply have to wait and see.
Square Enix has shared new screenshots and key art for this game, viewable via our gallery below:
New Key art was revealed, also viewable below:
Paid launch DLC was also revealed, listed below:
- Puppet’s Costume – An additional design for Barren, Laty and Lac’s outfits**
- YoRHa Emblem – Replaces the design on the backs of the cards with the YoRHa emblem**
- 2B Avatar – A 2B-inspired design for the player avatar, which can be used on the world map
- The Copied City Board – A Copied City-themed battle board and gem box***
- Machine Lifeform Table – A machine-lifeform-themed design for the game table**
- Resistance Jukebox – Allows you to change the BGM to music that evokes the memory of the androids who fought to the death for the sake of humanity**
- Pixel Art Set – Replace all character and enemy illustrations with pixel art**
- Automata Dice – A Pod-themed design for your dice (available in North America and Asia only)
*The items sold in this set will be available for individual purchase after the game release.
**The appearance will not change in some sections.
***The Copied City Board content does not include dice DLC.
Lastly of note, those who pre-order the game via Steam or Switch will gain the “Whale of Fortune Pattern” DLC and “Ocean Tile Table” DLC. The former provides a card design depicting a fortunate whale and the latter provides an ocean-themed aesthetic for the game table.
You can view the official trailer announcing this unexpected sequel below:
If you missed it, check out our PlayStation 4 review of Voice of Cards: The Isle Dragon Roars.
Voice of Cards: The Isle Dragon Roars is now available on PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, and PC via Steam.
This post may contain Amazon affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate Noisy Pixel earns from qualifying purchases.