Developer Truant Pixel has announced an upcoming arcade-inspired virtual reality driving action title simply called RUNNER. The developer stated that this game is inspired by 80s prestige anime and is “driven by themes such as lo-fi and cassette futurism and inspired by anime such as Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Patlabor and more.”
Throughout this title, players take control of Mina, a rogue mod-courier in the middle of a city-wide pursuit. Taking place in Presidium, the capital of the mining colony moon N-35, Mina’s only means of escape is through a highspeed expressway known as the “Thoroughfare”.
You can read each of these title’s advertised features below:
- RUNNER features visceral first-person driving gameplay that embraces the unique visual style of late 1980’s prestige anime.
- Players take control of their motorcycle, weaving in-and-out of traffic at breakneck speeds while fending off waves of enemy attackers.
- The action punctuated by an original and dynamic music system set to an incredible throwback soundtrack composed by Fat Bard.
- RUNNER sees the player racing through the Presidium mining colony, pursued by an army of relentless drones.
- Players can customize the look of their bike with unique paint and lighting combinations before jumping into the fray.
- Multiple vehicles are unlockable, each with it’s on set of unique traits and handling.
- Autonomous motorcycles, UAVs, hunter-killer tanks, sniper quadrupeds, covert assassin vehicles, and larger-than-life bosses lie in wait to put an end to Mina’s escape.
- RUNNER features 360-degree freeform gunplay, utilizing twin checkpoint automatic pistols integrated into the control yoke of her bike.
- Powerups collected along Mina’s route further enhance the weapons at the player’s disposal, with powerful options such as scattershot, lasers, and much, much more.
- The arsenal also includes heavy ordinance such as grenades, lock-on missiles, and an integrated vehicle cannon.
You can read the developer’s tweet thread describing the title here.
You can view the title’s reveal trailer below:
RUNNER is releasing for PlayStation 5 VR, PC VR, and Next-Gen in the future. No release date or window was given.
This post may contain Amazon affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate Noisy Pixel earns from qualifying purchases.