Atlus and Vanillaware have revealed new story and gameplay details for their upcoming tactical JRPG Unicorn Overlord.
Unicorn Overlord takes place on the continent of Fevrith, comprised of five nations listed below:
Humans and other races like elves, angels, and beastfolk known as bestrals inhabit these lands.
General Valmore of Cornia ends up rebelling against his nation’s royal family, initiating a war that affects all five continents. Alain is Cornia’s prince and the protagonist, who flees his nation during the conflict and becomes the leader of the Liberation Army, which aims to free the locales across Fevrith that have been subjugated.
Then, after ten years pass, Alain possesses the legendary Ring of the Unicorn and “raises the flag of rebellion to lead his people to freedom.”
You can view official character profiles and renders for Unicorn Overlord via our gallery below:
As for new gameplay details, players will be able to rebuild reclaimed towns with gathered materials and train allies, with the choice of who to send out to battle ultimately up to players. Defeating the Zenoiran forces in occupied settlements will restore law and order and grant access to armorers and provisioners. Further, exploration is made easier by the defeat of wandering enemies.
During battles, which occur in real-time, the two opposing sides try to capture the other’s command post, with players needing to assess where and when to send particular units. Victory conditions, such as defeating the enemy commander, will vary depending on the stage.
Individual combat will take place when units come into direct contact with each other on the field during battle stages. Characters will automatically engage in combat, with adaption and improvisation at the forefront of the experience, as players will need to balance units’ skills and classes.
“Coordinate a unit’s tactics in advance with conditions that determine how and when skills will automatically be used.”
Three difficulty levels have been confirmed, quoted below:
- Sweet – A difficulty focusing on story. For players looking to win battles without much difficulty.
- Normal – A difficulty focusing on tactical gameplay. For players who may be unfamiliar with strategy
- Hard – A difficulty focusing on pushing your tactical mind to its limits. For players who are quite skilled at
Additionally, an online mode has been confirmed, comprised of PvP battles against other players’ units.
The Digital Deluxe edition of Unicorn Overlord will contain the following:
- 16-bit Arranged Soundtrack (Download)
- Soundtrack of 16-bit arranged music album produced by Basiscape
- Digital Artbook (Download)
- A sublime artbook feature character illustrations, background art, initial designs, and more (132 Pages)
- Unicorn Overlord Game (Digital Download)
The Physical Premium edition of Unicorn Overlord will contain the following:
- Premium Edition Box
- A unique box designed by Vanillaware
- Unicorn Overlord Game (Physical Version)
- Original Card Game
- A completely original card game set for 2 – 4 players, produced by Vanilla ware (239 cards)
- 16-bit Soundtrack
- A soundtrack of a 16-bit arranged music album, produced by Basiscape (2 CDs – 10 tracks ea.)
- A sublime artbook featuring character illustrations, background art, initial designs, and more (132 pages)
Lastly, pre-ordering the game will grant players the ATLUS X Vanillaware Heraldry Pack DLC. One’s Liberation Flag will be customizable with emblem designs from Odin Sphere, Dragon’s Crown, and 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim with the following:
- Erion Emblem
- Hydeland Emblem
- Sakura High School Emblem
Unicorn Overlord will launch for PlayStation 4 (digital-only), PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch on March 8, 2024.
This post may contain Amazon affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate Noisy Pixel earns from qualifying purchases.