The Original Shantae Launches on Switch; All 5 Games Now on the Console
Developer Wayforward has announced that the original Shantae has been released on the Nintendo Switch eShop. During this title’s initial launch in 2002, the original Shantae quickly became an acclaimed action-adventure-platformer that many consider one of the best Gameboy Color games ever made.
In this title, players control Shantae as she seeks out four elemental stones throughout Sequin Land to ultimately prevail against the iconic pirate villain, Risky Boots. As Shantae hair-whips, dances, and transforms, players will explore labyrinths, meet jovial characters, learn new abilities, and conquer various mini-games.
Alongside the Gameboy Color mode, this release also includes the extra Game Boy Advance functionality of the vintage cartridge. Additionally, this version of the title preserves the graphics, sound, and gameplay of the game’s first launch while also adding some modern sensibilities such as save states and multiple display options.
You can read this title’s key, advertised features below:
- Shantae’s acclaimed original 8-bit adventure – now on Switch!
- Use dance magic to transform into a monkey, an elephant, a spider, and more!
- Travel across Sequin Land, from forests and deserts to swamps and frigid peaks!
- Explore challenging labyrinths where devious bosses await!
- Buy a variety of items and upgrades to gain new abilities!
- Environments change from day to night!
- Discover secret passages! Find hidden Warp Squids and fireflies!
- Select between standard GBC mode or GBA-enhanced mode, featuring a bonus Tinkerbat transformation!
- Updated with save states, multiple display options, control improvements, and a mini art gallery!
With the original Shantae now being released on Switch, all 5 Shantae titles are currently available on this platform. (Shantae, Shantae: Risky’s Revenge – Director’s Cut, Shantae and the Pirate’s Curse, Shantae: Half-Genie Hero, and Shantae and the Seven Sirens)
You can view the official commemoration video celebrating this occasion below:
This post may contain Amazon affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate Noisy Pixel earns from qualifying purchases.