Square Enix has clarified the voice acting information for the upcoming Star Ocean The Second Story R. Fans should be aware of the following three options and the provided details:
- EN voice acting from the PSP version
- New JP voice recordings from the original PS1 cast
- JP voice acting from the PSP version
So this means that the English voice cast will not be returning with new audio. However, players will be able to swap between these three options on the fly if they so wish.
The tweet sharing this information is viewable below:
#StarOcean The Second Story R will include three options of voice acting to choose from:
🗨️ EN voice acting from the PSP version
🗨️ New JP voice recordings from the original PS1 cast
🗨️ JP voice acting from the PSP version
You can switch these any time throughout the game! pic.twitter.com/L6ADd6Y9BO
— STAR OCEAN (@StarOcean) July 18, 2023
Star Ocean The Second Story R will feature fully voiced event scenes with the original voice cast, a newly arranged soundtrack by original composer Motoi Sakuraba with new songs, including some with a live band, as well as the new Break and Assault Action combat mechanics.
Players can anticipate two selectable protagonists, Claude and Rena, akin to the recently released Star Ocean The Divine Force. Claude is a Pangalactic Federation officer and son of the legendary Ronyx Kenny, causing him to have internal strife regarding his identity. During a mission, Claude’s ego gets the better of him as he’s transported to an underdeveloped planet and spotted by Rena, confusing him for the Hero of Light.
The Earth, Galaxy, and Universe difficulties will also be implemented. Further, the developer is Gemdrops, known for porting Star Ocean: The Second Evolution to PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita in Japan.
Subtitled French, Italian, German, and Spanish language support will also be available via a launch day update.
- Check out our announcement coverage for more information.
- View the collector’s edition.
- Development occurred thanks to fans’ requests and to celebrate the original game’s 25th anniversary.
- Development team discusses the remake’s presentation.
- New quests have been added due to more challenging battles.
- Development team discusses the soundtrack.
- Party composition will reflect the original release.
- Character profiles for six party members were shared.
- Dias Flac Character Render Update
- Claude & Rena English Clips
Star Ocean: The Second Story R is releasing for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Nintendo Switch, and PC via Steam on November 2, 2023.
This post may contain Amazon affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate Noisy Pixel earns from qualifying purchases.