Square Enix has published the third mission report trailer for their upcoming action JRPG, Star Ocean The Divine Force.
- Check out our coverage of the first mission report trailer.
- Check out our coverage of the second mission report trailer.
The story is highlighted first, with the primary cast’s goal being to save the Kingdom of Aucerius from the Vey’l Empire. However, throughout their quest, the party frequently encounters a faction known as the Vyrians, individuals who possess advanced technology and are somehow involved with the Empire.
The three revealed Vyrians are the following:
- Gaston Gaucier – “Characterized by his perennial smirk.” Voiced by Sean Chiplock in English and Gakuto Kajiwara in Japanese.
- Lola Jornaus – “Carries a firearm that could not conceivably originate from Aster IV.” Voiced by Faye Mata in English and Hibiku Yamamura in Japanese.
- Velanj Garfuul – “Targets D.U.M.A who he calls the eater of planets.” Voiced by Ben Diskin in English and Satoshi Tsuruoka in Japanese.
While Raymond and company contend against the Vyrians over D.U.M.A, they encounter a race that has always lived on the planet of Aster IV, whose leader is Malkya Trathen. She leads the Trathen who live on Nihlbeth. Her English voice actress is Laura post, and her Japanese voice actress is Yoko Hikasa.
Malkya has an extensive history with Midas and has known Laeticia and Albaird since their youth, making her eagerly aid in their cause. Regarding combat, Malkya is a melee combatant who utilizes her shapeshifting body to her advantage. For example, she can use her limbs to literally whip enemies. Additionally, one of her skills lets her share her Health Points with the rest of the party.
Essential knowledge of combat is detailed next, with characters gaining experience as they defeat foes to gain SP and level up. SP can strengthen already learned skills or acquire entirely new ones from the Skill Tree.
Combat skills are then highlighted, listed below:
- Cruel Buster– Kicks away a launched enemy.
- Ronde Mysterieuse – Fires out an advancing tornado.
Active skills are shown next, listed below:
- Intimidate – Demoralizes enemies.
- Hide – Prevents enemies from targeting the user.
Passive skills are showcased next, listed below. They are primarily used for support.
- No Guard – The user does not flinch if taking damage below a certain amount.
- Never Keep You Down – Gain a buff when getting up from being knocked down.
To gain an advantage in combat, players can train via D.U.M.A. For instance, gems collected in the overworld grant DP (D.U.M.A points) can enhance skills and help the party learn entirely new ones.
Some of the skills D.U.M.A can provide are listed below:
- Extend Scan – Expands the area of effect for D.U.M.A.’s scanning by 25%.
- Silencer – Reduce enemies’ footsteps detection range by 25%.
- Guardian – -20% VA gauge reduction when blocking with a shield.
- Strike Gain – Increases the amount of VA gauge gain when landing an attack by 15%.
- Reduce Assault – 10% reduction in the amount of VA gauge lost when changing directions for a blindside.
- Extend Stun Lock – Extends enemy blindside duration by 10%.
D.U.M.A. also grants the party Vatting, special techniques unique to each party member. As actions are performed in battle, the Vatting gauge fills, letting combatants use powerful offensive and defensive abilities.
By holding down the VA button during combat, a barrier surrounds the character, completely nullifying enemy attacks, sometimes repelling them and causing flinching.
Moreover, D.U.M.A. can be detached from the party and provide status-enhancing effects in the middle of battles. This mechanic is called Estery Cage. Defense is significantly amplified while Estery Cage is active, though VA and Vatting are inoperable while it is in effect. Further, the VA gauge won’t even fill.
Item creation, minigames, and more will be part of the next wave of information. Welch was also teased, viewable below:
You can view the full Star Ocean The Divine Force Mission Report #3 trailer below:
Star Ocean The Divine Force is the newest RPG from developer Tri-Ace. The game features a sci-fi setting as the sixth entry in the franchise with an action-focused battle system. This narrative tells an original story led by protagonist Raymond, the captain of a space trading ship, along with Ydas, and Laeticia, the princess-knight of an underdeveloped planet. After how lukewarm Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness was, it’s relieving to see this series be given another new chance.
Throughout Star Ocean The Divine Force, players get to choose between protagonists Raymond and Laeticia, witnessing the story from multiple unique insights. Raymond’s perceptions offer more sci-fi know-how, while Laeticia’s perspective focuses more on fantasy elements. Combat is real-time, utilizing quick maneuvers such as chain attacks that highly benefit from contextual positioning on the battlefield. Further, the addition of Stop Mode allows players to literally pause the action, letting them form new stratagems on the fly.
- The game has been confirmed to be freely upgradeable to PlayStation 5.
- English Mini Manga 1
- English Mini Manga 2
Star Ocean The Divine Force is releasing on October 27, 2022, for PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, and PC via Steam.
- Announcement Coverage; Screenshots, Narrative & Renders
- Release Date, Character & Combat Introduction Coverage; Mission Report #1
- Raymond Opening Movie, New Renders, Pre-Order Bonuses & Editions
- Japan Collector’s Edition
- Es’owa Minigame Revealed
- Famitsu Screenshots & Gameplay Information
- Raymond & Laeticia Trailers
- Companions Will Differ Depending On Chosen Protagonist
- Mission Report #2
- Japan-Only Pre-Order Collaboration Alongside Valkyrie Elysium
- Elena & Albaird Trailers
- Official Material Collection Available for Pre-Order
- Original Soundtrack Available for Pre-Order
- Framed Key Art Available for Pre-Order
This post may contain Amazon affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate Noisy Pixel earns from qualifying purchases.