During the latest Sonic Central broadcast, Sega announced new free content making its way to Sonic Frontiers later today. Players can look forward to new challenges, moves, collectible Koco, and New Game+. Additional cosmetics, at least based on the trailer, seem to be available, too, celebrating the titular protagonist’s birthday.
Further, fans can anticipate one more batch of free DLC later this year, adding a new storyline and playable characters.
The following patch notes were shared on the game’s official Steam page:
This free content update includes the following:
• Birthday Celebration – The Starfall Islands have been decked out to celebrate Sonic’s birthday! Check out the decorations and party with a new costume for Sonic’s big day!
• Action Chain Challenge – new challenges have been added to the Open Zones. Aim for the high score!
• New Skill: Spin Dash – The legendary Sonic move returns! Unlock the Spin Dash and discover new ways to traverse the Starfall Islands.
• New Koco – There’s new kinds of Koco waiting to be found on the Starfall Islands. Keep an eye out for their fun outfits!
• New Game + – Relive the story of Sonic Frontiers with all your stats and skills carried over from your previous playthrough.This update also includes additional changes to improve your experience while exploring the Starfall Islands.
- Added a function to display percent completion for each island – available on the transition screen between islands, island selection screen, and island clear screen.
- Added new “Frontier Elite” costume.
- Added an ability to change the rate of deceleration when jumping.
- Added a “NEW” icon that will be displayed when extra content is newly added.
- Added an ability to turn on/off the “BGM change” function in Cyber Space.
- The tower difficulty on Rhea Island has been reduced for Easy mode.
- When the following time-saving actions are used in Cyber Space, colored marks will now appear in the results:
- Homing Dash: White
- Spin Dash: Red
- Change in deceleration rate when jumping: Yellow
- Cyber Space Power Boost: Blue
- Added a feature to reset clear time and rank in Arcade mode, Cyber Space, Battle Rush, etc.
- Added an ON/OFF option to set whether the camera will use dramatic angles when skills are used.
- Added an option to set the deceleration rate to reach a complete stop.
- Added an ON/OFF option to set whether to maintain a boost during a jump.
- Added 24 songs to the Juke Box. Added Sound Memories on each island.
- Additional bug fixes.
Sonic Frontiers features an “open-zone” gameplay style, where players will freely explore five distinct islands housing unique biomes, puzzles, enemies, and more. Combat is a direct focus this time, with several enemy types to best and a skill tree to peruse. Moreover, the Cyber Space levels provide some familiar speed-centric linearity veteran fans can embrace.
- Prequel Comic; Convergence Part 1
- Prequel Comic; Convergence Part 2
- Launch Trailer
- Official “Undefeatable” Music Video
- Divergence Animated Prologue
- Assistant Lore Manager Position
- Free Monster Hunter Collab DLC Available
- Official “Vandalize” Music Video
- Big the Cat Lo-Fi
- Open-Zone & Cyber Space Wallpapers
- 2023 DLC Roadmap
- Free Holiday Suit DLC Now Available
You can view the official trailer announcing Sonic Frontiers’ Birthday Bash updated below:
Sonic Frontiers is available on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, Nintendo Switch, and PC.
This post may contain Amazon affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate Noisy Pixel earns from qualifying purchases.