Riot Games announced that Seraphine from Runeterra will join League of Legends officially on October 29, and will be available in League’s Publish Beta Environment beginning tomorrow.
Seraphine is an idol who is working on growing her fandom. Along with the launch, players can access a new Ultimate Skin: K/DA ALL OUT Seraphine. Through gameplay, as you complete missions in Seraphine’s questline, you’re able to unlock skins that reflect her journey of becoming a top idol.
“There’s a pretty wide variety of technology available in Runeterra, so we had a few options to explore for Seraphine,” says narrative writer Rayla “Jellbug” Heide. “But the first pitch in my head was that she was a singer from Piltover and Zaun. Zaun in particular is a somber place with dark characters, and we hadn’t really had a chance to explore the creative and positive elements of that region, which I thought could be really exciting.”
“It was logical that Seraphine comes from Piltover and Zaun because the level of technology makes them feel semi-related to the real world,” says concept artist Anna “Newmilky” Nikonova. “Popstars feel more like a modern phenomenon to me. I kept thinking of her taking a selfie and it was really hard to imagine how she’d fit into Runeterra organically. I needed to make sure it felt like Seraphine—and her music—was born in Piltover and Zaun; that it evolved there, and she became their pop star. So I needed to understand the type of technology she’d be able to use to make sure it didn’t feel too real-world.”
Here’s a breakdown of Seraphine’s abilities:
- Passive – Stage Presence – Every third basic ability Seraphine casts will echo, automatically casting a second time. Additionally, whenever she casts an ability nearby an ally, she will create a Note. Each Note gives her basic attacks more attack range and deal additional magic damage, consuming the Note.
- Q – High Note – Seraphine projects a pure note, dealing magic damage that’s increased by the target’s missing health percentage.
- W – Surround Sound – Seraphine surrounds her nearby allies in a song, granting herself and her allies movement speed and a shield. If Seraphine is already shielded, she can heal her nearby allies, restoring health based on how many allies are near her.
- E – Beat Drop – Seraphine unleashes a heavy soundwave, dealing magic damage to enemies in a line and slowing them. Enemies that are already slowed are rooted, and already rooted enemies are stunned.
- R – Encore – Seraphine takes the stage, projecting a captivating force that charms enemies and deals magic damage. Any champions struck (allies included) become part of the performance, extending the range of the ability and granting allies maximum Notes.
“At first Seraphine just flew around with her mic and some visual effects. But we encountered a problem we run into a lot, which is making sure new champs look as physically different as possible from other champs,” says concept artist Anna “Newmilky” Nikonova “Then we came up with the idea of the platform, which was really cool. The animators could make her dance and do fun cast animations because she doesn’t have to keep her feet on the ground.”
“At first Seraphine just flew around with her mic and some visual effects. But we encountered a problem we run into a lot, which is making sure new champs look as physically different as possible from other champs,” Newmilky explains. “Then we came up with the idea of the platform, which was really cool. The animators could make her dance and do fun cast animations because she doesn’t have to keep her feet on the ground.”
We’ll be sure to cover more of Seraphine’s debut in the future.
This post may contain Amazon affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate Noisy Pixel earns from qualifying purchases.