Following Sony’s announcement of the new PlayStation 5 model that’s slimmer than the original launch version, fans have identified via a console bundle with Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 that the optional disc drive will require an internet connection during its initial pairing.
As one would expect, this discovery has been causing quite a bit of worry since hardware attachments needing internet connectivity can make it so that, in the distant future, that connection will no longer apply.
It’s possible that this decision was made for security purposes to ensure that the utilized disc drive is an authentic purchased one. Still, it’s quite concerning for down the line.
It’s worth noting that Sony has not officially commented on this matter.
You can view the tweet showcasing the fine print concerning the optional disc drive pairing below:
Alongside a lighter weight and 1TB SSD, the aforementioned Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Drive is notable.
Pricing details are quoted below:
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – 499.99 USD
- PS5 Digital Edition – 449.99 USD
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – 549.99 EUR
- PS5 Digital Edition – 449.99 EUR
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – 479.99 GBP
- PS5 Digital Edition – 389.99 GBP
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – 66,980 JPY (includes tax)
- PS5 Digital Edition – 59,980 JPY (includes tax)
A horizontal stand will be included with the new PS5 model. Also a new Vertical Stand compatible with all PS5 models will be sold separately at 29.99 USD | 29.99 EURO | 24.99 GBP | 3,980 JPY.
This post may contain Amazon affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate Noisy Pixel earns from qualifying purchases.