In a joint statement, Microsoft announced that Xbox has aligned with Nintendo and PlayStation to protect players online. Their goal is to work together to ensure user safety, especially the younger ones.
The company released a list of principles to their approach which highlights some interesting approaches to their initiative. The companies will make parental controls useful and easy to use and will continually inform parents and players of their codes of conduct. They will also invest in ways of improper conduct before they become a problem.
Additionally, they will partner with the community to utilize reporting tools to call out hate and harassment or the exploitation of younger players. This is done by making it easier for players to report violations.
It’s good to note that these are mostly dealing with how the companies approach online gaming. This is a field that Nintendo hasn’t been completely versed in, and Sony and Microsoft take different approaches to handle it. This combined force of the three could make a unified system that works for parents and concerned players.
This full list can be read below:
Prevention: Empower players and parents to understand and control gaming experiences.
- We provide controls that let players customize their gaming experience. We support parents with the tools and information necessary to create appropriate gaming experiences for their children.
- We recognize that for safety features to be useful, they must be easy to use. We will promote the availability of our safety tools through our platforms, support channels, services, on our websites, and in retail stores to reach more players and parents.
- We invest in technology to help thwart improper conduct and content before a player is subject to harm.
Partnership: We commit to partnering with the industry, regulators, law enforcement, and our communities to advance user safety.
- The industry’s commitment to safety is central. We believe that we have an opportunity to collaborate for the benefit of the video game industry and all players to offer a safer gaming experience.
- We work with industry trade organizations, industry members, regulators, law enforcement, and experts to develop and advance online safety initiatives.
- We commit to conducting shared research for the benefit of the industry.
- We believe that hate and harassment or exploitation of younger players in any way have no place in gaming. We partner with our community to promote safe gaming behavior and encourage the use of reporting tools to call out bad actors.
- We partner with ratings agencies such as the ESRB and PEGI to ensure that our games are rated for the appropriate audience.
Responsibility: We hold ourselves accountable for making our platforms as safe as possible for all players.
- We make it easy for players to report violations of our code of conduct and, in addition to removing content, we take appropriate enforcement actions for violations, including restricting players from using our services for misconduct.
- We comply with all local laws and will respond to all lawful requests from law enforcement. We promptly notify law enforcement if we observe unlawful conduct or where we believe a player is at risk of imminent harm.
- We publish our rules and requirements and we ensure that players who have been reported understand the requirements for continued engagement with our platforms.
This post may contain Amazon affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate Noisy Pixel earns from qualifying purchases.