Developer Eidos-Montréal and companies Marvel and Adidas have announced that they will be launching a footwear collaboration in 2022 with shoes based on each of the 6 Guardians of the Galaxy.
Summations of what to expect from each piece of footwear are listed below, courtesy of James Liu, Senior Designer, Footwear, Exclusives of Adidas:
- Star-Lord – Forum Hi 84 and Forum Mid
- “Star-Lord has an old-school charm and is an expert in galactic combat and battle techniques; similarly, the Forum mid has an undeniable retro appeal and is a proven contender in its own area of expertise.”
- Gamora – ZX 2K Boost 2.0
- “Gamora is known across the universe as being a warrior with unmatched strength, speed and skill – and also for her lineage to the MCU game-changer Thanos. The ZX 2K Boost, the most recent silhouette to bear the iconic ZX moniker, is sleek and sharp like Gamora’s blades and takes color and material references from her armor and appearance.”
- Drax – Ozelia
- “Drax is fierce and headstrong, with superhuman strength and a formidable human-mutate physique. The Ozelia, is built like a classic sneaker but features amplified characteristics like a maximal midsole and molded panels and lines that draw similar visuals to Drax’s brutish form.”
- Groot – NMD R1
- “To capture the essence of the plant-life superbeing that is Groot, we started with the rugged trail version of the modern classic NMD R1. Unique to the style is a lugged outsole which helps to naturally grip the floor, and the mud-guard that runs along the bottom of the shoe helps protect the foot. Adding to this, we used a 2-tone knit in shades of brown as a nod to Groot’s roots for the upper, and an embroidered detail featuring ‘I AM GROOT’ in an alien language featured in the game.”
- Rocket – ZX 1K Boost
- “Rocket Racoon is a weapons specialist, elite marksman, and master tactician, who takes on amplified abilities from its racoon counterparts. We started with the ZX 1K Boost silhouette as a base – it’s a modern interpretation of a familiar style, using the latest technology for optimal performance. We added technical features like speed lacing, and high-vis reflective elements inspired by Rocket Racoon’s weaponry.”
James Liu also provided the following statement regarding these upcoming shoes:
“A key starting point for the design of each sneaker was the unique visual cues from each of the characters – whether it’s the stitching details on Star-Lord’s leather jacket, Groot’s earthy color palette, or Drax’s unmistakable tattoos. From there, we wanted to inlay various design discovery elements that helped further bring the story of each character to life. Bringing it all together across the collection are unique signifiers for this original take on Guardians of the Galaxy as a Super Hero team – with matching sockliners, hang tags, labels, and packaging.”
You can view the interview discussing more of the intricacies of this collaboration on the official Adidas website.
Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy has released for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, and PC.
If you missed it, check out our review of the title’s PlayStation 5 version.
This post may contain Amazon affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate Noisy Pixel earns from qualifying purchases.