Ahead of the early access launch of Granblue Fantasy Versus: Rising on December 11, Cygames and Arc System Works have detailed and listed the improvements, changes, and new features they have implemented since the game’s second open beta during November 2023.
You can view the full list of these implemented changes below:
• New Feature: Added playable characters Grimnir and Nier
• New Feature: Added random select character Lunalu
– When Lunalu is selected, the game assigns the player a random character at the start of every match. Battle records will display Lunalu as the selected character for such matches.
• New Feature: System voice (used for the in-game announcer, etc.) can now be swapped out
– Purchase of the System Voice Set DLC required.
• Adjustment: Executing a Raging Strike now triggers a unique voice line
• Adjustment: Executing a Brave Counter against a Raging Strike now triggers a unique voice line
• Adjustment:Buttons for “throw” and “dash” can now be unassigned through the Button Configuration menu
– Fixes an issue that caused “throw” and “dash” to be assigned to random buttons when attempting to assign a new command to the M+H input.
• Adjustment: Implemented several balance changes.
• New Feature: Added frame information to the Display menu
• New Feature: Added quick command list to the Display menu
• New Feature: All characters now come with a Character Explanation
– Contains a simple breakdown of the character’s traits as well as strategic tips, such as the effective range of moves. Perfect for beginners looking to learn a new character.
• New Feature: All characters now come with Basic Combos
– Allows players to review and practice a character’s basic, anti-air, and practical combos. Contains information on each combo’s utility in different situations, making it a helpful feature for new and intermediate players alike. Also includes a tracker that records combo completion rate.
• New Feature: Added Character Strategy to Situational Training
– Only the section on Gran is available in the Free Edition.
• New Feature: Added Match-Up Training to Situational Training
– Only the section on Gran is available in the Free Edition.
• New Feature: Added fast travel
– Accessed through the Map button.
• New Feature: Added standby stations
– Access the green stations in the lobby to go on standby for a casual or ranked match.
• New Feature: Added Grand Bruise! sign-up booth
– Sign up for Grand Bruise! tourneys in the lobby.
• New Feature: Added new mini-game, Crane Game
– Purchase plays with rupies. Prizes comprise of a variety of in-game items, including profile cards and figures.
• New Feature: Added board displaying Consecutive Win Rankings
• New Feature: Added spectate feature
– Search players currently fighting and spectate the match.
– As of now, spectators must stay until the match is over before they can leave. Spectators can only leave ongoing matches if it is a Room Match. We plan to include a patch in the Ver 1.1 update that allows spectators to leave any match at any time.
• Adjustment: Players can now interact with arcade machines in the lobby by using the OK button
• Adjustment: When an opponent sits down at a station, it now triggers a sound effect and controller vibration
• Adjustment: Lowered sound effect volume for avatar actions
– Currently looking into other adjustments, such as an option that will allow players to turn off sound effects for all avatars but their own.
• Adjustment: Soccer balls no longer get stuck behind the goal posts as easily
• Adjustment: Fixed an issue that caused FPS to drop on the Character Select screen
• Adjustment: Other minor bug fixes
We also plan to release a patch that will stop player names from moving around during avatar actions, such as sitting down at a station.
• New Feature: Added the game modes “Golem Defense Force” and “Beam Bouncers,” as well as two new courses to “Rising Royale”
• New Feature: Added new items that can be used during Grand Bruise! matches
• New Feature: Added Legend Level rewards
– Players can participate in Grand Bruise! tourneys to gain experience points towards their Legend Level. Reach set Legend Levels to earn rewards.
– Legend Levels are capped in the Free Edition.
• New Feature: Added referee voices
– Referee voices can be swapped out with the System Voice Set DLC
• Adjustment: Raised the volume of the music that plays during Grand Bruise! tourneys
• Adjustment: Made it easier for tourneys to begin with larger groups
Features That Will Become Available Upon Official Release
• Arcade Mode
Square off against the CPU in a series of battles to reach the ending.
Clearing set conditions will unlock Lucilius as a boss. Defeat him to earn special in-game art.
• Versus Mode
Battle either the CPU or a second player in matches with customizable rule sets.
• Story Mode
Play through the GBVSR original story. The early chapters also double as a simple game tutorial, so it’s a perfect place for new players to start. Clear certain chapters to unlock rewards, such as music and lobby avatars.
Completion progress can be transferred over from Granblue Fantasy: Versus save data. Parts 1 and 2 are always skippable, even without previous save data.
– In the Free Edition, only part 1 is available and save data cannot be transferred.
Watch replays of online matches, either to observe more experienced players or look back on personal progress. Players can also review their search history and pause, rewind, or fast-forward footage.
Browse through art and music, or review logs on characters, weapons, and terminology.
Most entries are unlocked once players encounter them in-game, but a select few are purchased with rupies.
• Figure Studio
Pose 3D character models in front of a variety of backgrounds to make original dioramas.
Figures are obtained in the Rupie Shop or through the Crane Game.
– In the Free Edition, only figures unlocked by default will be available for use, and new figures cannot be purchased in the Rupie Shop. Any figures obtained through the Crane Game cannot be selected in the studio.
• Ranked Matches
Face off against players from around the world in online matches. Match results will be recorded, and Versus Rank will be affected.
• Room Matches
Create a room with a custom rule set. Players must be invited to enter.
– Not available in the Free Edition.
View rankings for players from around the world.
• Player Info
Review battle records or edit your profile card. Profile card are saved separately for each character.
– Only default badges are available in the Free Edition.
• Match History
View the last 100 matches you’ve played.
Select a partner to guide and encourage you through the game. Unlocked partners are also automatically available as lobby avatars.
– Only Gran, Lyria, and Vyrn are available as partners in the Free Edition.
• Lobby Avatars
Choose an avatar to control in online lobbies and Grand Bruise! tourneys.
– Only Gran (Casual Wear) is available in the Free Edition.
Swap out the character art that displays during matches and on the Character Select screen.
• Character Level
Participate in matches to gain experience points towards character levels. Experience can be gained through the Arcade Mode, online matches, and room matches, and the amount gained will differ based on the type of match and match results.
Reach set character levels to earn rewards.
– Character levels are capped in the Free Edition.
• Follow List
View players you’re following.
• Recently Played
View opponents you’ve recently played online.
• Block List
View players you’ve blocked.
• Rupie Shop
Make purchases using rupies, the in-game currency. In addition to content that is also available as level rewards, such as character colors and weapon skins, there are also plenty of Rupie Shop exclusives, including character art and figures.
• Draw Ticket
Exchange this ticket to obtain Weapon Cutouts you can equip on your avatar. Tickets can be purchased at the Rupie Shop or earned through level rewards.
Access important features, such as System Settings and Save Data Transfer.
Certain pieces of content, such as select tournament trophies, EX colors, and Battle Pass rewards (weapon skins / character colors) can be transferred over from Granblue Fantasy: Versus save data.
– Save data cannot be transferred between PlayStation®/Steam versions.
• Daily Challenge
Complete challenge goals to earn rupies. There are different goals for different game modes (such as Arcade Mode, Versus Mode, and online matches), and challenges reset every day at midnight.
– Weekly Challenges are also planned for a future update.
Below are adjustments made to the battle system following the second open beta.
• Raging Strike
When Raging Strike is used twice in the same combo, the second Raging Strike now results in a shorter knockback. The shorter knockback prevents the use of a short-range standing heavy attack after the second Raging Strike—meaning the combo can now only be followed up by a Raging Chain. It will no longer be possible for players to land a long series of alternating short-range standing heavy attacks and Raging Strikes, as during the beta test.
Finally, we implemented fixes to reduce instances of input buffering accidentally activating Raging Strike when the SBA gauge is at 25% or below.
• Light Dash Attack
Decreased damage from 1000 to 600.
• Brave Counter
Slightly extended the buffer window for Brave Counters against a Raging Strike.
It will now be easier for players to execute a Brave Counter after the foe has inflicted guard crush on them with a Raging Strike.
• Plus Skills
Adjusted cooldown times for all Plus Skills.
• Aerial Throws
Throw breaks can now only be performed by pressing the throw button.
Following the beta test, we implemented many character-specific balance adjustments and bug fixes. Below are just the major changes.
Tempest Blade (SBA) / Eternal Edge (SSBA)
Increased the duration of the initial attack and decreased the duration of the second attack. It is now easier to land both hits at a distance and activate Eternal Edge at a longer range.
Shortened recovery time.
All normal attacks now cancel into Soul Forge. (Excludes sweep attacks)
Empty Hand (U)
Seox now becomes invincible after the leap. Since it is no longer invincible on start-up, Empty Hand will now fill the SBA gauge on hit or block if it was not canceled into.
Over the Fence (U)
Eliminated recovery time upon landing after the leap.
Anila now travels farther and tracks the foe’s location.
You can view more details about the upcoming release via the game’s official website.
Granblue Fantasy Versus: Rising features the original 24-character Versus cast alongside several new ones. A newly implemented mechanic will be Ultimate Skills, which are more powerful iterations of Versus’ Plus Skills, enabling new combo extension opportunities and ways to punish opponents. Additionally, a new Story mode will be available in a more convenient fashion, abolishing item collection, growth elements, and some quest battles. It will be an abridged version of Versus’ 50 RPG Mode chapters, too.
This release will also feature enhanced graphics, an improved online lobby with a vaster environment, and Grand Bruise Legends! Mode, comprising minigames such as obstacle course Rising Royale and Gold Brick Hoarder.
Granblue Fantasy Versus: Rising will launch for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, and PC via Steam on December 14, 2023.
This post may contain Amazon affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate Noisy Pixel earns from qualifying purchases.