During the latest Final Fantasy XVI broadcast, the game’s producer, Naoki Yoshida, revealed that the title was initially planned to be on two discs. However, just six months before launch, the team managed to barely fit it onto one.
This was highly desired since keeping the game on one disc significantly reduced manufacturing costs and avoided delays in polishing the overall experience before the title went gold.
While a PlayStation 5 game on two discs sounds far-fetched, it’s not exactly new. The upcoming Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is confirmed to be featured across two discs, so it’s no surprise that Final Fantasy XVI almost embodied that identity.
Final Fantasy XVI is set to be a more action-heavy entry than its predecessors, with a Devil May Cry V designer even taking the helm. Throughout the title, players will control the protagonist, Clive, as he confronts various Dominants, humans who have been cursed with the power to become Eikons.
Clive is the “First Shield of Rosaria,” sworn to protect his younger brother Joshua, who’s the Dominant of Phoenix. However, following a certain tragedy, Clive swears revenge on the Dark Eikon Ifrit.
The producer, Naoki Yoshida, describes this game as akin to his experience with the first Final Fantasy, as “playing the lead in an epic motion picture.” The reasoning for this title’s action-oriented approach and more classical fantasy setting was to “appeal to as wide a range of gamers as possible.” Moreover, “there will be a “comprehensive support system in place for players who aren’t too confident with action games.”
In case you missed it, check out our preview.
- View our extensive summation of the previously revealed Final Fantasy XVI information, including screenshots, renders, profiles, and much more.
- View our coverage compiling multiple interviews of the game.
- Final Fantasy XVI Interview Breakdown Compilation
- Check out the latest trailer and accompanying information, including renders and screenshots.
- Release Date Trailer, Characters, Gameplay Info & Pre-Orders Available
- Official Artwork
- ESRB Rating Description
- Moogle Reveal
- Process of Going Gold
- New Key Art
- Pixel Art Animation & 8-Bit Arrangement
- PAX East 2023 Broadcast Confirmed
- Preview Round-Up
- Torgal Gameplay Clips
- PAX East 2023 Footage
- Gone Gold
- State of Play Debut, Screenshots, Theme Song Teaser
- State of Play Breakdown
- PS5 Bundle + Themed Cover Plates & DualSense
- Soundtrack Release
- 6 Gameplay Videos
- Official Eikon Artwork
- Clive Voice Actor Interview
- Salvation Launch Trailer
- New Game+ Content
- PC Port Confirmed
- Lottery Merchandise
- Ultimania Announced
- Main Theme Song Streaming
- Art Book Announced
- Ascension Trailer
- Requiem Live Action Trailer
- Next-Gen Immersion Trailer
- Theme Song Trailer
- New Commercial
Final Fantasy XVI is launching exclusively for PlayStation 5 on June 22, 2023.
This post may contain Amazon affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate Noisy Pixel earns from qualifying purchases.