During the latest State of Play, Square Enix unveiled a brand-new trailer for the upcoming Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, announcing a release date of February 29, 2024, on two discs. The game will be PlayStation 5-exclusive until at least May 29, 2024.
Twin-pack pre-orders, including this game and Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade, are also available today.
Additionally, new combat scenarios and familiar and new story scenarios were shown. Plus, there are plenty of minigames, and a playable Cait Sith was also revealed.
Nomura shared the following message:
“Hello everyone. This time we made a trailer to show the great variety in the game world, so please take a look. We’re getting ready to offer test play and a stage show at TGS next week, so you can look forward to seeing that too. Keep supporting us!”
The PlayStation Blog interview with Hamaguchi revealed the following:
- Red XIII has a unique revenge gauge mechanic, which charges when he guards against attacks. He can spend that charge to use various abilities. Red XIII is a balance between “offensive strategy using the ATB gauge and defensive strategy using the revenge gauge.”
- Sephiroth will be playable in the Nibleheim flashback.
- Date scene will be featured at Gold Saucer.
- “Wutai, one of the major locations, is not part of the route in Final Fantasy VII Rebirth and will be visited in the next one.”
- …” the locations depicted in this title extend up to “The Forgotten Capital,” where the greatest fate of Final Fantasy VII awaits you.”
- The Junon minigame will have Cloud become the leader of the unit for the parade, and he will have to customize the soldiers’ composition, with it determining their performance.
You can view developer messages via our gallery below:
Producer Yoshinori Kitase stated the following:
“FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH has been set for release on February 29, 2024. This second installment of the FINAL FANTASY VII remake project will feature elements from the previous game, as well as greatly enhanced features such as the vast world map to explore and synergy abilities with party members. The story will unfold more dramatically than ever before, with a rapid pace of major twists and turns.
We know fans are dying to see one scene in particular…
FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH can be enjoyed on its own as a standalone adventure, with the party leaving Midgar to explore the wide world beyond. But for those wishing to deepen their understanding of the story, a recap of the previous game will also be provided. We hope that both fans and those who have never played FINAL FANTASY before will enjoy this game.”
Director Naoki Hamaguchi stated the following:
“We are finally able to announce the release date to all of you! We have been working tirelessly on FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH since the release of FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE, and we can’t wait for you to experience our labor of love. In this title, Cloud and his friends, who have fled Midgar, will be setting out on an adventure across an expansive world of untold adventure in pursuit of Sephiroth, the legendary SOLDIER.
While the main storyline is bigger and more ambitious than the previous game’s narrative, FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH also embraces the concept of “free exploration,” with compelling stories, fun mini-games, powerful monsters and so much more to find throughout the world map. We hope you will explore this world in great detail, as nearly 100 hours of adventure await. We hope you will take this new FINAL FANTASY game experience in your own hands to enjoy.”
Creative Director Tetsuya Nomura stated the following:
“This is the second title of a trilogy, and covers between the start of the journey outside Midgar to the midpoint of the original FINAL FANTASY VII. If FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE was an introduction to the world and a preparation for this journey, FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH serves as an illustration of the incidents that started the journey, an exploration of the people tied to it, and the journey itself, heading toward its climax.
Many elements were carefully selected for this title and because this is a series, we have the unique opportunity to review and incorporate feedback from the previous title, such as by increasing the number of characters. I am sure that the bar for the next work will be raised even higher now that we have included so many spectacular elements in this work, but even so, the entire team continues to work diligently and without compromise on its development.
There is also the looming question of what fate awaits. Whether you have experienced the original title or will embark on this adventure with fresh eyes, we hope you will face the ending of this work on your own terms.”
You can view new key art below:
Square Enix detailed Chocobos, with players able to catch and call them, assisting in traversal. Their equipment can be customized, too. Mountain Chocobos climb up slopes, and Sky Chocobos “take flight from gliding ranges and soar across peaks and valleys.”
Other modes of navigation include the buggy, which is faster than Chocobos and can go through shallow water and across sandy terrain, as well as the wheelie in Costa del Sol for relaxation.
Minigames players can anticipate are G-Bike for bike racing and combat, Chocobo Races, which have poppable balloons granting access to special techniques, and 3D brawler for one-on-one matches via polygonal models.
Some Synergy Abilities, duo attacks learned as the party level increases, are listed below:
- Cloud / Sephiroth: Double Helix
- Sephiroth unleashes an elegant flurry of strikes, and Cloud does his best to follow suit.
- Yuffie / Barret: Ninja Carbine
- Barret and Yuffie lean into their shared prowess and unleash a ranged attack.
- Aerith / Cait Sith: Kitty Cannonade
- Aerith imbues Cait Sith’s moogle with magical energy and unleashes a ranged attack.
In regards to Summons, Alexander and Odin were shown off.
You can view official screenshots for Final Fantasy VII Rebirth via our gallery below:
You can view official character renders for Final Fantasy VII Rebirth via our gallery below:
A breakdown of all purchasable editions is listed below:
- Physical – across two game discs; includes a reversible cover, and the preorder incentive of the digital Midgar Bangle Mk. II armor at participating retailers
- Standard Edition ($69.99)
- Deluxe Edition ($99.99) – Includes Mini-soundtrack CD, artbook and steelbook case
- Collector’s Edition ($349.99) – Includes large, highly detailed collectible statue of Sephiroth, Deluxe Edition contents, along with digital DLC items including Summoning Materia DLC, allowing players to summon the Moogle Trio, and the Magic Pot, along with equipment, like the Reclaimant Choker accessory and the Orchid Bracelet armor. The Collector’s Edition will be available to pre-order in limited quantities from the Square Enix Store.
- Digital – includes the Moogle Trio Summoning Materia DLC
- Standard Edition ($69.99)
- Digital Deluxe Edition ($89.99) – Includes digital Mini-soundtrack, digital artbook, and digital DLC items including the Magic Pot Summoning Materia, Reclaimant Choker accessory and the Orchid Bracelet armor
- Digital Deluxe Edition Upgrade ($20) – Can be purchased to upgrade previously purchased Standard Edition, adding Digital Deluxe Edition contents*
- FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE & REBIRTH Twin Pack ($99.99) – Offering great value during the pre-order phase, the Twin Pack includes FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH, available at launch, and the full game download of FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE INTERGRADE which will be available to play as soon as the Twin Pack is pre-ordered.
- FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH Digital Deluxe Twin Pack ($119.99) – Includes FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE INTERGRADE full game download plus all Digital Deluxe Edition contents
You can view the new Final Fantasy VII Rebirth trailer below:
- Summon Materia: Leviathan
FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE EPISODE INTERmission
- Summon Materia: Ramuh
The game’s Deluxe and Collector’s Edition ($349.99) have been detailed.
The Deluxe Edition ($99.99) includes a copy of the game, an artbook, a mini-soundtrack, and a Steelbook case, similar to the Deluxe Edition of the previous Remake title.
The Collector’s Edition, exclusive to the Square Enix Store, includes the above, as well as:
- FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH DELUXE EDITION
- FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH STATIC ARTS – SEPHIROTH
- Approx. 48cm / 19inch statue depicting the iconic antagonist Sephiroth in highly detailed sculpting. The wing can be detached.
- Moogle Trio Summoning Materia (DLC)
- A summoning materia that can call “Moogle Trio” in the game.
- Magic Pot Summoning Materia (DLC)
- A summoning materia that can call “Magic Pot” in the game.
- Accessory: Reclaimant Choker (DLC)
- A choker with an effect of restoring HP when an enemy is defeated.
- Armor: Orchid Bracelet (DLC)
- A bracelet that gives courage to traverse an expanding world.
- Armor: Midgar Bangle Mk. II (DLC)
- A bracelet worn by travelers leaving Midgar.
Check out our previous coverage for screenshots and staff comments.
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is the sequel to the first entry in this ongoing Final Fantasy VII Remake trilogy effort. Throughout the announcement trailer, players got a tease of the Nibleheim flashback with Cloud and Sephiroth and Zack carrying Cloud, seemingly from either the end of Crisis Core or the end of Remake.
The previous trailer from Summer Games Fest showcased quite a bit more, with a relatively open world, team attacks, Chocobo riding, and fascinating story developments that have truly made this entry diverge from the original game’s timeline. Still, familiar areas like Cosmo Canyon and the Chocobo Farm are also present.
This post may contain Amazon affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate Noisy Pixel earns from qualifying purchases.