Konami announced that the Contra series will receive a collection series titled Contra Anniversary Collection, coming this summer digitally to PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and PC-via Steam for $19.99.
Contra Anniversary Collection will include the full catalog of titles from the Contra series, which includes some Arcade releases as well as Japanese releases.
Newly announced for the collection are six new titles:
- Contra: Hard Corps (Sega Genesis) – A new direction in the franchise where for the first time players can choose from among four unique characters. This title also retains a primary side-scrolling perspective vs the featured overhead segments in earlier Contra titles. Additionally, the story is advanced through cutscenes and includes branching paths requiring players to make decisions within key stages. This is the first time the game has been re-released since its original run on the Sega Genesis.
- Contra (NES) – Fans can revisit the classic NES version of this original Contra title on current consoles, chock full of new content and added features from the arcade version.
- Contra (Famicom) – Also coming to the collection is the Famicom version of the original CONTRA game. This title also includes updated content and features from the arcade version, but also presentation updates from the NES version.
- Operation C (Game Boy) – The first handheld title in the franchise, this title is an original entry to the series and also the first to feature the now famous homing gun to save the world from a pending alien threat.
- Probotector (Sega Mega Drive) – Originally launched in Europe, the two protagonists, Bill and Lance, were replaced with robotic counterparts along with many of the human enemies in the game. The two new protagonists, RD008 and RC011, were affectionately known as Probotectors.
- Super Probotector: Alien Rebels (Super Nintendo) – A European launch of the well-regarded Contra III: The Alien Wars, this title also takes advantage of the robotic protagonists RD008 and RC011 and delivers the classic features introduced by Contra III: The Alien Wars such as holding two guns at once, top-down gameplay levels, and shooting in eight directions at will.
Additionally, players who purchase Contra Anniversary Collection will receive Japanese versions of six of the titles via a free update:
- Contra (Arcade)
- Super Contra (Arcade) – known as Super Contra: Alien No Gyakushu in Japan
- Super C – known as Super Contra in Japan
- Contra III: The Alian Wars – known as Contra Spirits in Japan
- Operation C – known as Contra in Japan
- Contra: Hard Corps – known as Contra: The Hard Corps in Japan
Contra Anniversary Collection is part of Konami’s 50th-anniversary celebration where the publisher and developer have been compiling titles from its franchises and retro series. This title is being worked on with game developer M2 has is handling the porting process for the titles to bring this game to modern consoles.
The full catalog of titles in the Contra Anniversary Collection includes:
- Contra (Arcade)
- Super Contra (Arcade)
- Super C (NES)
- Contra III: The Alian Wars (SNES)
- Contra: Hard Corps (Sega Genesis)
- Contra (NES)
- Contra (Famicom)
- Operation C (Game Boy)
- Probotector (Sega Mega Drive)
- Super Probotector: Alian Rebels (Super Nintendo)
- Bonus eBook
You can check out screenshots from all the titles below:
This post may contain Amazon affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate Noisy Pixel earns from qualifying purchases.